Air Temperature in Leonardo

All around LEONARDO 4 (and previous 2014)
Post Reply
ajsuleiman007
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by ajsuleiman007 »

Hi,

I am fairly new to Envi-Met, so please bare with me, I have gone through the forum to look for already answered questions, but I still have a few questions.

1) I ran simulation with Trees (Palm Trees) and without Trees as seen in the images below. In the image with trees, there's an area (circled red) showing higher Air temperature next to the building, could there be an explanation for this please?

2) Additionally, shouldn't the air temperature remain constant at all times? or how does Envi-met calculate the air temperature after extracting from the epw files?

Note: I used fullforcing for the simulation, using .epw files for Abu Dhabi in peak summertime of June 21 @12pm
With Trees (Palm Trees)
With Trees (Palm Trees)
Without Trees
Without Trees

Tim
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by Tim »

Hi,

1) That can have multiple reasons depending on the local model area and the meteorological boundary conditions. If it gets too hot, plants close their stomata and leafs stop evaporating which heats up the leafs, so they can also heat up the environment under specific circumstances. They can also block the wind flow and thus stopping ventilation of the area causing the hot air to accumulate there in front of the building.
2) No, air temperature values of course differ for the different times of the day as they do in reality. I think I did not understand that question correctly.
I hope that you did not simulate only that one hour at 12 pm but a full day giving the model time to spin up.

Best regards,
Tim

ajsuleiman007
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by ajsuleiman007 »

Tim wrote:Hi,

1) That can have multiple reasons depending on the local model area and the meteorological boundary conditions. If it gets too hot, plants close their stomata and leafs stop evaporating which heats up the leafs, so they can also heat up the environment under specific circumstances. They can also block the wind flow and thus stopping ventilation of the area causing the hot air to accumulate there in front of the building.
2) No, air temperature values of course differ for the different times of the day as they do in reality. I think I did not understand that question correctly.
I hope that you did not simulate only that one hour at 12 pm but a full day giving the model time to spin up.

Best regards,
Tim
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your quick response.

1) For the first question, that would make sense as to why the result appears the way it does. it's really cool that envi-met can simulate the effect of trees to that extent.

2) Sorry if my question wasn't clear, I was assuming that the air temperature is similar to the dry bulb temperature from the weather file. So that's why I was asking if Envi-met takes into consideration the different changes within the environment and simulates the air temperature even though it's at the same time of the day.

Tim
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by Tim »

Hi,

The values of the EPW file are transformed in the shape of the FOX-file and used as input for the ENVI-met simulation. These meteorological boundary conditions are set for the inflow border. Within the model area you find changes of all meteorological parameters due to the model area characteristics such as buildings, plants, soils etc. If the model would not do that, it would not make sense to run it at all.

Best regards,
Tim

ajsuleiman007
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by ajsuleiman007 »

Tim wrote:Hi,

The values of the EPW file are transformed in the shape of the FOX-file and used as input for the ENVI-met simulation. These meteorological boundary conditions are set for the inflow border. Within the model area you find changes of all meteorological parameters due to the model area characteristics such as buildings, plants, soils etc. If the model would not do that, it would not make sense to run it at all.

Best regards,
Tim
Thanks Tim, much appreciated,

One thing I forgot to add is that I only ran the simulation for 1 hour, because the it was taking a long time for the simulation to complete. And I know from ENVIGuide and other posts here, it's recommended not to increase the timestep.

Tim
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Yes, that is very true. Nevertheless, I would then try to decrease the model area size and still run the model with the start at sunrise. All materials, objects etc. heat up during the day and definitely affect your simulation results. We often run the model for more than 48 hours since the model might take 24 hours to initialize all material temperatures with senseful values.
Only picking the hour of interest and simulating that one does not give valuable results.

Best regards,
Tim

ajsuleiman007
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by ajsuleiman007 »

Tim wrote:Hi,

Yes, that is very true. Nevertheless, I would then try to decrease the model area size and still run the model with the start at sunrise. All materials, objects etc. heat up during the day and definitely affect your simulation results. We often run the model for more than 48 hours since the model might take 24 hours to initialize all material temperatures with senseful values.
Only picking the hour of interest and simulating that one does not give valuable results.

Best regards,
Tim
Thanks a lot for your quick response Tim.

And sorry one last question, to reduce the model size what's the best way to that? also is it possible to run the simulation for a specific area only, e.g only where the Trees are?

Thanks again.

Tim
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Yes, of course you can run it only for that specific location. You will of course lose the information about shading from surrounding buildings etc.
The best method would be to choose a coarser resolution.... you can then simulate the same area but with less grid cells.

Best regards,
Tim

ajsuleiman007
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by ajsuleiman007 »

Thank you for the responses Tim.

sara5759
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:01 am

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by sara5759 »

I am going to compare Ts and air temperature for 5 different neighborhoods in a city. How can I use the same palette in which, each color represents a certain temperature? Because Leonardo constantly change legend base on Min and max temperature in each map?
Attachments
T surface
T surface
T surface
T surface

Tim
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by Tim »

Hi,

In future, if your topic is not related to an existing one, please create a new one!
Check our tutorial videos about Leonardo to see how that works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRS-w4R ... Pf&index=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnTn0sq ... Pf&index=3

Best regards,
Tim

sara5759
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:01 am

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by sara5759 »

Many thanks Tim
Sara

ajsuleiman007
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by ajsuleiman007 »

Dear Tim/ENVI-met Team,

I have a question regarding a result from a simulation for the Month of the December on 21st @ 1 pm to be precise, I used forcing data for Dubai, UAE, the result shows that the UTCI in the area seems to increase with the addition of shading (single Walls) or trees, however with green walls and no shading/trees, the temperature decreases. Does this make sense?
December No Shading
December No Shading
Around 18.5 degrees UTCI
December with Shading
December with Shading
Around 19.5 degrees UTCI
December Green Walls
December Green Walls
Around 17.8 degrees UTCI

Tim
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Air Temperature in Leonardo

Post by Tim »

Hi,

That is very hard to tell. You need to check all parameters affecting the UTCI individually to see why it behaves like that.
In general, I see also the advantage of using shading structures since this case shows some more regions of cooler UTCI though the difference at measurement point might be higher.

Best regards,
Tim

Post Reply