About the Datebase

Items concerning the Databasemanager
jimorales

About the Datebase

Post by jimorales »

Hi,

Sorry if my question is so specific. I would like to know how the materials parameters on the DB have been established. I compared the datebase with other sources and i found small differences. My question is just to understand more about the software.

Regards,
Jose

atefeh

Re: About the Datebase

Post by atefeh »

Dear admission,
can you please help me with the following questions,
In the materials part,
I want to know which terms represent the Heat capacity per unit, and Volumetric heat capacity and albedo among the below options:
Emissivity, specific heat, thermal conductivity, absorption and reflection??

Thank you very much in advance.
Regards,
Ati

Tim

Post by Tim »

Dear Jose,

The material parameters of the database are quite old coming from some building material handbooks. They are only thought of as help for user's who don't have access to or any details of the specific parameters of the materials being used in their project.
If you find different values, feel free to adjust the materials. A good source for such material data in general is this website: https://www.ubakus.com/en/r-value-calculator/?

Best regards,
Tim

Tim

Post by Tim »

atefeh wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am Dear admission,
can you please help me with the following questions,
In the materials part,
I want to know which terms represent the Heat capacity per unit, and Volumetric heat capacity and albedo among the below options:
Emissivity, specific heat, thermal conductivity, absorption and reflection??

Thank you very much in advance.
Regards,
Ati
Dear Ati,

All heat transfer properties such as volumetric heat capacity can be calculated from specific heat, thermal conductivity, and density and of course the other way round (e.g. if you only have that parameter). Reflection is the albedo value.

Best regards,
Tim

jimorales

Post by jimorales »

Hi Tim,

Do you know where can i find optical properties of materials (absorption, reflection, transmission)? My wall composition is OSB, glass fibre and gypsum board. I have the thermal properties, but nothing about optical. What can i do?

Regards

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Optical parameters are indeed not included in this website. You will have to find these parameters in different sources, material handbooks or scientific papers, e.g. for glass fiber I found this: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1094900329.
However, only the outer material of the wall layers need accurate reflection and absorption values, since they are used for to handle the incoming radiation.

Best regards,
Tim