Doubts about setting solar adjustment factor when using full forcing

Discussions about the Version 4 concerning the core model simulations
Lance

Doubts about setting solar adjustment factor when using full forcing

Post by Lance »

Dear ENVI-met team,

I am using advanced full forcing mode and don't want to force the radiation data. By this means, ENVI-met will calculated the radiation by default. But when I edited the following advanced settings, I found that the solar adjustment factor could not be modfied. So I want to confirm with you does this mean that I cannot set the solar adjustment factor for radiation when I use the full forcing mode?

Regards,
Lance

Tim

Re: Doubts about setting solar adjustment factor when using full forcing

Post by Tim »

Hi Lance,

As far as I can see that from the code, the solar adjustment factor should be used if you disabled full forcing of radiation/clouds in the ENVIguide. However, it would be much more accurate if you added clouds instead of using the solar adjustment factor. The factor cannot be used in a reasonable simulation since it only decreases sun power instead of trying to reduce the incoming radiation with real processes such as shading by clouds.

Best regards,
Tim

Lance

Post by Lance »

Dear Tim,

Thanks for your reply. But for the solar adjustment factor, I can only modify this when I choose simple forcing. So if I disabled full forcing of radiation/clouds in the ENVIguide, I can only set cloud conditions to modify the radiation calculated by ENVI-met. Am I right?

Regards,
Lance

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Lance,

Yes, because it is really not intended to be used with FullForcing. However, if you still want to do it, you may open the SIMX with FullForcing enabled in a text editor such as Notepad++ and add the tag before or after the FullForcingSection:

<SolarAdjust>
<SWFactor> 0.80000 </SWFactor>
</SolarAdjust>

You need to modify the value of 0.8 according to your needs of course.

Best regards,
Tim