Access Violation - Simulation crushed

Post here for very basic questions and request for help...
But: BEFORE you post, read the older posts if your question hasn't been answered before.
Please be specific. Q like "I don't understand ENVI-met" will most likely be ignored.
meteoman79

Access Violation - Simulation crushed

Post by meteoman79 »

Dear all,

I tried to run the model using full force mode, forcing all the parameters (Science Edition).....
The simulation seems to stuck, and the follow message is appeared.

I read topics with the same error, but I cannot undestand why the simulation crushed when the 70% of simulation had already been completed.....

You can find the files here (or the attached RAR folder):
https://we.tl/t-EMWE0pkXQU

Can you help me please to find the error?
Attachments
EnviMET_Error.JPG
Run_Error.rar
(314.51 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Tim

Re: Access Violation - Simulation crushed

Post by Tim »

Hi,

You have a very strange model area with DEM being present only in the inner area. I can imagine that the error might be connected to that. I'd simply run the model without terrain. It makes things much easier for the simulation and the analysis. The issue might then not happen as well. Otherwise, the terrain must present for the whole model area.

Best regards,
Tim

meteoman79

Post by meteoman79 »

Tim wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:28 pm Hi,

You have a very strange model area with DEM being present only in the inner area. I can imagine that the error might be connected to that. I'd simply run the model without terrain. It makes things much easier for the simulation and the analysis. The issue might then not happen as well. Otherwise, the terrain must present for the whole model area.

Best regards,
Tim
Dear Tim,
Thanks for your answer.....
However, I would like to know, that I had already completed the 24hours simulation of the same domain just few days ago, without any problems....
In the last simulation I changed:
the measurements heights as well as the z0, at the FOX file import process, as you rightly suggested me in a previous post and I selected the lower dz divided by 4 subgrids

Do you think that the values of the measurements heights (Air temp at 18 m, Wind at 19 m and z0 = 1) or the lower dz option could stop the simulation?

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

If something was wrong with the parameters, the simulations would probably have given some errors before the crash. Did you restart the same simulation? Maybe it was a random crash without a specific reason?

Best regards,
Tim

meteoman79

Post by meteoman79 »

Tim wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 pm Hi,

If something was wrong with the parameters, the simulations would probably have given some errors before the crash. Did you restart the same simulation? Maybe it was a random crash without a specific reason?

Best regards,
Tim

Hi,

Do you suggest to restart the same simulation with the same domain and settings?....
I did not notice any error. The simulation stuck at 70%...
I cannot understand why the simulation crushed at 70%....
If any error exits, would not the simulation stopped at the first hours instead of 7 days later?

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

I don't know what the issue is. I can only give you some suggestions and you need to test them. You can also restart it without any changes and see if happens again. However, you might have a higher chance to not get a crash again if you change some things. One would be to delete the DEM which is not making sense in your model area. Secondly, I would definitely recommend you to decrease the amount of Z cells and use telescoping or a higher vertical resolution together with splitting instead. It will massively speed up your simulation if you only use 30 or 40 z cells instead.
Did you enable additional NetCDF outputs? You may also disable that and see if that helps.

Best regards,
Tim