Cut the area

Post here for very basic questions and request for help...
But: BEFORE you post, read the older posts if your question hasn't been answered before.
Please be specific. Q like "I don't understand ENVI-met" will most likely be ignored.
Fatma Balany

Cut the area

Postby Fatma Balany » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:57 am

Hi everyone,
My area is 776x454x30 grid 2x2x3 telescoping factor 20%, start after 10 m. When I simulated a case it took a very long time then I decided to cut the area to 530x350 using ‘cut area tool’ and then ‘save model as’. However, even just to save the model it took days then I simply stopped the process. My questions are:
1. Based on this, what is the best method to cut the area? Maybe 1 day process is acceptable but not days. I also plan to make some scenarios, modifying from base case, then save the model as different cases. I can imagine how many days it took to save my scenarios from base case
2. There’re some high buildings on my area (+/- 100m above) what is the best telescoping factor or z that I need to use to reduce simulation time?
I’m using ENVI-met science my RAM is 16GB. Please advise me.
Thank you
Fatma

Tim

Re: Cut the area

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:42 am

Hi Fatma,

You probably created the area out of Monde with that size, right?
Spaces is quite limited in editing and saving such huge model areas. Especially in 3D mode, the Cut area tool might not work properly. I would thus recommend to export the correct cut model area out of Monde directly.
You should start telescoping from the height above highest building since stretching them might cause some issues!. So, I would use 30 % telescoping starting at 100 m height. However, you will then need more than 40 Z cells to accomplish the needed heights (I would try to reach around 400 m). You could also choose a coarser resolution to save some grid cells.
If you want to run the model on the PC with 16 GB RAM, you may get some problems as well. 500x300x40 might work more or less but larger models would definitely need more RAM.

Best regards,
Tim

Fatma Balany

Re: Cut the area

Postby Fatma Balany » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi Tim,
Yes I created it with Monde.
Thank you very much for the answer

Fatma

Return to “Beginner's Corner”