Problem exporting surfaces to Spaces

ENVI-met Monde World Editor (BETA)
BillG

Problem exporting surfaces to Spaces

Post by BillG »

I have successfully used Monde to produce GIS and modelling layers for buildings, topography, soil profile and roads. However when I export into Spaces the soil profile is not present. Instead the soil profile throughout is 0100PP pavement (concrete) except the roads which are present and correct (as are all other layers). If I apply a new soil profile in Spaces it overrides the road layer (which was painstakingly digitized by hand in Monde). Please advise how I can successfully create a soil profile in Monde. Files attached.
Attachments
DeLacey99.zip
(697.07 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Laura

Re: Problem exporting surfaces to Spaces

Post by Laura »

Hi Bill,

It seems to me as if you do not export the surface data to the INX file. When clicking "Create ENVI-met Model..." make sure to check your modelling layer that contains the surface information.
You will of course have to classify your attribute and create a modelling layer from your GIS layer before you can do that. You can find further information concerning this here: https://envi-met.info/doku.php?id=apps:monde.

Best,
Laura

BillG

Post by BillG »

Thanks Laura - have resolved the issue.

As roads and other surfaces replace rather than overlay soil in Spaces, it is necessary in Monde to establish the soil layer first! It might be good to clarify this for users. If no soil layer is specified in Monde then Spaces defaults to 0100PP pavement (concrete). This may not be the best default soil surface.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Great that it worked out for you. However, that is not the case. You are able to specify the default soil profile to be placed for the undefined soil areas in Monde: Before you click on Export in the Export to Model Area Dialog, you need to open More Options where this can be modified.

Best regards,
Tim

BillG

Post by BillG »

Thanks for that. I now have another problem. I have successfully exported my model from Monde and it opens in Spaces. However when I try to save the inx file, even before I make any mods, I get the error message shown in the attached.
Attachments
Error message.PNG
Error message.PNG (6.48 KiB) Viewed 62 times

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Unfortunately, the error message does not help us here. We had some reports about those errors within the last year which seem to appear randomly. You may export the model area again / restart the PC and see if it works then... otherwise, you may attach the file here and I will debug it.

Best regards,
Tim

BillG

Post by BillG »

Hi Tim,

Have tried re-importing and shutting down but get the same results. The monde and inx files are attached.
Attachments
DeLacey4.zip
(865.83 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Your issue is connected to the terrain (some buildings have a height of -1 m which is caused by a leveling algorithm). It makes things easier in general if you don't use terrain if it is not in the scope of your work. If you definitely need it in your work, you can adjust one thing in the Monde export that will fix the issue and you are still able to run the simulation with terrain: Go into more options and uncheck the lowest option: Used Leveled Building Heights For Buildings in DEM. The building correction is then disabled and the -1 m high buildings are not created. We however check why that happened in your case and will try to fix that for the next versions.

Best regards,
Tim

BillG

Post by BillG »

Hi Tim,

As suggested I unchecked that option and created another inx file but got the same error message when trying to save the file, even though all the buildings now have a bottom level of 0m. For now I have left the DEM out of this model but will need to include it in future models so it would be good if this can be fixed in due course.

Rgds... Bill

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Bill,

We could finally reproduce your reported bug in Spaces in the currently available Spaces version online. When we want to debug the issue in developer mode, the bug does not occur, which makes it very tough to find a solution for that. We are still working on it.
However, the building height correction due to DEM in Monde could be fixed -> building heights cannot be corrected to values below 0 anymore if the checkbox in More options is ticked. We will probably upload a bugfix release of a new Monde version within the next days/weeks as soon as we could (hopefully) fix the Spaces issue.

Best regards,
Tim