Areas domain restrictions

ENVI-met Monde World Editor (BETA)
meteoman79

Areas domain restrictions

Post by meteoman79 »

Dear alll,

I would like to make a map of a big city (greater Athens area) (with a resolution of 100x100 m) and unfortunately there are no building heights available from shp files as well as the city is not included at OpenStreetMap Wiki (Open Data Overview etc) ....
So, I have to enter them one by one... so I chose to create the area with the Monde and thereafter to use the selection of get osm environment, however I faced up with some issues....

Firstly, do you know what are the dimensions of the maximum domain area that I could create using the model? I tried to make an area of ​​5000 (e / w) and 5000 (n / s) and in the process the following message appeared "Access violation".......
Is there a limit to this? The capabilities of the computer meet the minimum requirements of the model

Then I tried to make a domain of 2000 insted of 5000..... However, when I tried to import the topography (Get Topography) the message (Winsock - connection refused Error #10061)

I have the Science Edition v4.4.5

Any help would be kindly appreciated

Tim

Re: Areas domain restrictions

Post by Tim »

Hi,

The Opentopography import was corrupted in fall because they changed their API address. We updated the version to be working again. Please download the recent version from our homepage to avoid this error.

About the limitations: I would think that 5 x 5 km is already a huge problem. Try smaller models first. However, I would definitely recommend you to download the OSM data and prepare it in QGIS. Changes like editing all building heights at once can be done there. You can also add ENVI-met database IDs to surfaces, trees etc. Then import the shapefile to Monde when all edits are completed.

Best regards,
Tim

meteoman79

Post by meteoman79 »

Tim wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:16 am Hi,

The Opentopography import was corrupted in fall because they changed their API address. We updated the version to be working again. Please download the recent version from our homepage to avoid this error.

About the limitations: I would think that 5 x 5 km is already a huge problem. Try smaller models first. However, I would definitely recommend you to download the OSM data and prepare it in QGIS. Changes like editing all building heights at once can be done there. You can also add ENVI-met database IDs to surfaces, trees etc. Then import the shapefile to Monde when all edits are completed.

Best regards,
Tim
Dear Tim,
Thanks for your reply….
The problem is not the OSM data as the Monde download the data normally. However, it should be marked that in an area of 5 x 5 km, only 2 buildings out of almost 58000 have values.

Actually the error message refers to topography data….
I think that I have already the latest model version…
When I choose the link “Check for the latest version” the message “You are using the latest version” appeared.
Also, neither https://envi-met.info/doku.php?id=files:downloadv4 nor https://envi-met.info/doku.php?id=apps:updates mention anything about the topography data

Finally, you think that an area 5 x 5 km would be a problem… Even if I use a 100 m horizontal resolution (50 x 50 grids)?

Best regards

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Okay, you mixed a lot of things now. Let's wrap everything up:
- Yes, Monde is able to import OSM data automatically. However, I would recommend you to download it elsewhere and to manipulate the data (e.g. add building heights, change materials) and then import the files to Monde. It makes things much easier.
- The issue about 5 x 5 km in Monde is not based on the size of the model area that you want to export. It is vectorbased data and might be to much to be handled by Monde. If you say that it gives you an error for 5x5km, I would try it with 2x2km and see if that works.
- About your question to simulate such an area in the end: That will not work. 100 m is a resolution for mesoscale models. It is definitely not the scope of ENVI-met. I would not go coarser than 10 or maybe 20 m.
- About the latest version: Yes, the check says it is the latest version because it is still 4.4.5. The Monde topography fix was only a very small bugfix. Simply download and install the version from the homepage.

Best regards,
Tim