Converting GIS to Modeling Layer

ENVI-met Monde World Editor (BETA)
M.Potyka@hereon

Converting GIS to Modeling Layer

Post by M.Potyka@hereon »

Hi there,
I have difficulties converting from GIS to Modelling Layers.

My information on plants/trees unfortunately is saved in a lines layer, because that is apparently how our city manages this information.
Which is a bit of a bummer, since Monde only allows the conversion to a sources lines modelling layer, which I don't want, right?
It would be of no use for me to export trees to a sources layer.
Therefore I decided to digitize the trees in 2 extra GIS layers, one point layer for the trunks and one polygone layer for the treetops.
However, after the transformation of these layers to modelling layers the creation of an ENVI-Met model does not work. The picture below shows the occuring error.
digitized trees from _topo but error.png
I would much appreciate it if you helped me with:
1. the reasons and possible solutions for this error
2. some feedback on my overall strategie: Is digitizing the trees in some new layers the right way, since I cannot straight forwardly convert the layer with the tree info?

I appreciate your response. Kind regards,
Miriam

Tim

Re: Converting GIS to Modeling Layer

Post by Tim »

Hi Miriam,

Trees need to be added as point layer. Lines and polygons cannot be used for it. Based on the tree ID, the tree canopy etc. is automatically created around the trunk center point (visualized in Spaces and Leonardo 3D views).

Best regards,
Tim

M.Potyka@hereon

Post by M.Potyka@hereon »

Hi Tim,
thanks!
However, the error persists.
I came across this post: http://www.envi-hq.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... fde#p12242 which is surely the same problem.
So your suggestion is to directly digitize modelling layers instead of digitizing GIS layers and converting them to modelling layers.
I will try this and get back to you.
All the best,
Miriam

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Miriam,

Yes, you should either digitize GIS layers (shapefiles) in a GIS like QGIS and import them or you need to digitize Modeling Layers in Monde directly.

Best regards,
Tim