Converting results to NETCDF

Discussions about all ENVI-met Plugins such as Grasshopper etc.
Arnaud

Converting results to NETCDF

Post by Arnaud »

Hello all,

I am generating an INX file with Grasshopper that contains georeferenced datasets. I aim to export my calcul results in the NetCDF format in order to represent it in ArcGis Pro. The coordinates are well conserved in my Grasshoper process but the problem is when I import the INX file in the Spaces area, the coordinates are set to "0", hence my NetCDF too. Do you have any workflow to keep the coordinates system until the NetCDF step. Thanks in advance,

Arnaud.

Tim

Re: Converting results to NETCDF

Post by Tim »

Hi Arnaud,

I am not sure why the coordinates are not saved in the INX when the file was opened and saved with Spaces. That should work in general. However, the conversion to Netcdf in postprocessing does not save the coordinates as far as I know. Anyway, the tool is not supported anymore. Please activate NetCDF outputs before starting the simulation and the netcdf file is written directly during the normal file writing. It will then have the coordinates as well.

Best regards,
Tim

frankforster

Post by frankforster »

Hello Tim I'm Frank, Arnaud's collaborater,

After setting correctly the spaces parameters, the coordinates are indeed conserved in the .INX file.

However and as you mentionned, the NetCDF file doesn't seem to get the coordinates.

As we are aiming to visualize the data in the real world in a 3D scene, have you any idea of a process that would georeferenced the NetCDF ?

You also mentionned that the "tool" is not supported anymore but I managed to export a NetCDF with ENVI-MET 4.5.5. What do you mean by that ?

I thank you in advance for your help,

Frank

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Frank,

No, I don't know how to reference it afterwards. I'd simply restart the simulation with enabled NetCDF outputs. The coordinates are then saved in the NetCDF file.

The tool is not supported means that such shortcomings are not added to the tool. Furthermore, it is not included in the current software suite of ENVI-met 4.4.5 and will not be available in future. The tool was only used in the transition phase until own NetCDF outputs were developed. Since they are available since several versions, enabling them for a simulation beforehand should be the use case if NetCDF outputs are needed. Of course, using the old tool with the 4.4.5 outputs is still working.

Best regards,
Tim

Arnaud

Post by Arnaud »

Dear Tim,

Thanks a lot for your replies. We will try with the new outpup format. I'll first upgrade my ENVI-MET version which is still 4.4.3.

Regards.

Arnaud.

frankforster

Post by frankforster »

Hello Tim,

We succesfully georeferenced our NetCDF model with FME.
However, we can't import the model in ArcGis Pro due to a coordinates problem (i.e attachment).

When looking the details of the NetCDF file, I see that the system "EPSG : 3260-1" is systematically mentionned.
After unsuccessfully trying to convert our model in this system, I realized that it is because that system is not worldwide hence not fit to our project.

Have you any idea why this particular system is mentionned and how our NetCDF file can be ArcGis Pro compatible ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Frank
Attachments
ArcGis error.PNG
ArcGis error.PNG (30.1 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Frank,

I don't know if there was any grid mapping at all in the old tool. That EPSG is definitely not helpful.
I'd still recommend to use ENVI-met 4.4.5 where Latitude/Longitude as well as UTM projected coordinates are saved in the NetCDF file.

Best regards,
Tim

frankforster

Post by frankforster »

Hello Tim

Thanks for your help.
As you adviced, we tried to generate a NetCDF file with the 4.5.5 version.

When using a NCDUMP script on the NetCDF file, I see that the coordinates are indeed well preserved.
However, the coordinates system are still set on this "EPSG:3260-1" system that has nothing to do with our project and we don't see any options to set it in the good system in ENVI-MET.

Since we are interested in visualising the output of ENVI-MET in the long term, do you know if your team will improve the NetCDF output coordinates system in the next versions ?

Kind regards,

Frank
Attachments
System.PNG

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Frank,

We are always eager to improve the program and also NetCDF outputs.
However, you simply need to enter a valid UTM zone and UTM coordinates for your model area and the EPSG is added correctly. It will be 326 plus the entered UTM zone. The EPSG is then WGS 84 and UTM projection of your model area's zone.

You will find the tags in a text editor such as Notepad++.

<locationData>
<modelRotation> 0.00000 </modelRotation>
<projectionSystem> </projectionSystem>
<UTMZone> XXX </UTMZone>
<realworldLowerLeft_X> XXXXX </realworldLowerLeft_X>
<realworldLowerLeft_Y> XXXX </realworldLowerLeft_Y>

<locationName> Essen/ Germany </locationName>
<location_Longitude> 7.00000 </location_Longitude>
<location_Latitude> 53.00000 </location_Latitude>
<locationTimeZone_Name> CET/ UTC+1 </locationTimeZone_Name>
<locationTimeZone_Longitude> 15.00000 </locationTimeZone_Longitude>
</locationData>

When exporting from Monde, the UTM information is added automatically already. However, there is no possibility to enter them manually in Spaces yet which might be the reason that it is not included in your INX file.

Best regards,
Tim

Arnaud

Post by Arnaud »

Hi Tim, it seems that things worked now in our NETCDF creation. We will keep you informed in case of persistant issues.

I have another simple question : in a simulation I omitted to enable the creation of NETCDF files during the resolution. The simulation is now over and i only have EDT and EDX files. Is there a way to create the NETCDF without rerunning the whole simulation (I'm using last 4.4.5 version).

Thanks for help.

regards.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi,

Great that it worked now. Unfortunately, I don't see an option right now to convert the files afterwards.

Best regards,
Tim

Arnaud

Post by Arnaud »

Thanks for your prompt reply Tim, I'll run the simulation again.