near wall trees will lead to higher air temperature?

This is the place to post and discuss your project results, ideas, visions and other things in your mind (...-related to ENVI-met ;)...) with other users.

Remember: This is a forum on technical Q on ENVI-met. We can not/ will not analyse your project results for you(although we might give hints).
cliang

near wall trees will lead to higher air temperature?

Postby cliang » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:53 am

Dear enviadmin:
I just get upgraded to the 2017 summer release and am testing the model to get some ideas on how it works. I'm testing how trees decrease air temperature. I have one base scene and one green scene. The green scene looks like this, and the base scene is just the green scene without trees. Grid size is 2m. In my simulation, I use all the default values for Ta/RH forcing and soil temperature and wetness, to keep it simple. Wind speed is 3m/s east. The simulation starts at 4:00 am. The result shows that in the morning (9:00, 10:00 and 11:00), Ta on the western side of the building (leeward side) is significantly higher for the green scene. The wind speed decrease due to trees at the leeward side is not that significant (<0.15m/s), so I’m not sure if it is the reason why higher Ta occurs. I checked the other variables, such as surface T and radiant fluxes and they seem to be OK. I would like to ask, did I setup the model correctly or is there a scientific explanation for this higher Ta?
Thank you very much.

best,
liang

P.S., the webpage keeps telling me "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." and I cannot attach any figures. Any solutions?

enviadmin
Site Admin

Re: near wall trees will lead to higher air temperature?

Postby enviadmin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:23 am

So, which increase in Ta you consider as 'remarkable'? That would be a point to start with.
In any case there is an explanation for this but it might be tricky. Thats why we use models..
Michael

cliang

Re: near wall trees will lead to higher air temperature?

Postby cliang » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you Michael for your reply. In my case, the leedward side of the wall, the space between trees and walls, Ta is >0.3 degree hotter than the bare case. This is possible? The wind speed reduction at this point is <0.1m/s for the tree case than the bare case, so it seems wind speed may not be the explanation for the Ta increase. My model is really simple so there should be no problem for the setting up.
Thank you for your attention.

liang

Return to “Projects & Results & Ideas”