ENVI-met's calculations

Discussions about the Version 4 concerning the core model simulations
AnonWarrior

ENVI-met's calculations

Postby AnonWarrior » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi ENVI_met's team,

I'm working in a project that I need to make some simulations in the future (2100) and I need some information to know what will be the hottest day of all the year. So, what I want to know is where the informations of temperature, humidity, etc, are gathered and how ENVI_met uses this information to estimate that variables in the future? The location of the project is Lisbon, Portugal.

Regards,
AnonWarrior

Tim

Re: ENVI-met's calculations

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi AnonWarrior,

Since ENVI-met is a microclimate model, it is able to simulate the effects of the future climate change onto the specific urban environment of your model area. It is not able to simulate which day in 2100 will be the hottest.
In general, you will specify the meteorological boundary conditions for your ENVI-met simulation based on weather station measurements for example. In your case, you will probably have to take the data from larger scale climate models, which simulated the conditions for your region in 2100.

Best regards,
Tim

AnonWarrior

Postby AnonWarrior » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Thank you for the fast answer! And another question, where is hosted the time series for Lisbon, Portugal used in ENVI_met?

Regards,
AnonWarrior

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi AnonWarrior,

I don't know which time series you are asking for?
You can use several forcing methods to put in your boundary conditions. One of them is FullForcing where you start the simulations with values from a CSV file (e.g. measured values) or from a EPW file.

Best regards,
Tim

AnonWarrior

Postby AnonWarrior » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:00 pm

The hourly series of the climatic variables that are in the input of the ENVI_met, like environment temperature, radiation, humidity, etc (for Lisbon, Portugal).

Regards,
AnonWarrior

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi AnonWarrior,

These are default values for all locations. Your input of area is only needed for the radiation calculations during the simulation.

Best regards,
Tim

AnonWarrior

Postby AnonWarrior » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 pm

I think my question is more understandable in this way:

- Without making full forcing, ENVI_met had some pre-defined values for temperature and humidity... Where this values came from?
- And where the pre-defined radiation values came from?

Regards,
AnonWarrior

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:29 am

Hi AnonWarrior,

The pre-defined values are just a random diurnal cycle. You should edit them.
The pre-defined radiation values are calculated by sun height / position according to your chosen location (latitude, longitude).

Best regards,
Tim

AnonWarrior

Postby AnonWarrior » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Thank you for your help (and patience).

One last question, there are any official documentation that talks about how ENVI_met do the simulations of all (or most of all) variables that can simulate (like formulas or even some text talking about)?

Regards,
AnonWarrior

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi AnonWarrior,

You will find scientific papers and dissertations e.g. from Bruse, Huttner, Simon that describe ENVI-met's calculations with text and formulas. If you want to know how to handle the program, you might check http://www.envi-met.info/doku.php?id=root:start#envi-met_4_a_holistic_microclimate_modelling_system or the video tutorials on our youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzM3vjyc-6vHICIqkuD9nQ.

Best regards,
Tim

Return to “ENVI-met 4 (Main Simulation Model)”