Primary Variables in _BIO_ files

grjonathan

Primary Variables in _BIO_ files

Postby grjonathan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:46 am

Hello,

I noticed that the UTCI .edx/.edt files contain a copy of the primary weather variables used towards the UTCI calculation (i.e. air temperature, local wind speed, specific humidity). From what I can see they are identical to their corresponding outputs in the _AT_ files.

Is this indeed the case? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use the _BIO_ files to analyze primary weather variables?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Tim

Re: Primary Variables in _BIO_ files

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Jonathan,

Those Biomet output files are created from Biomet in postprocessing by using the output variables of the atmosphere folder. In order to make the analysis easier of those Biomet results, the atmosphere output values of those general meteorological values are again included in those output files and are thus indeed the same values. Of course you can analyze them as good as the ones in the atmosphere folder. General data such as temperature or wind speed can be found in multiple output folders to simplify the analysis process since you do not have to switch to another output folder to check another variable.

Best regards,
Tim

grjonathan

Re: Primary Variables in _BIO_ files

Postby grjonathan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks. It is indeed a convenient feature. I especially like that it cuts down on file size if you happen to need only those variables.

-Jonathan

Return to “Biomet”