How is the "lowest grid" defined in case of uneven ground?

Post here for very basic questions and request for help...
But: BEFORE you post, read the older posts if your question hasn't been answered before.
Please be specific. Q like "I don't understand ENVI-met" will most likely be ignored.
Pantamonium

How is the "lowest grid" defined in case of uneven ground?

Postby Pantamonium » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:13 am

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't been able to find an answer using the search function.

So, ENVI-met has the option to sub-divide the lowest simulated grid into five sub-boxes to provide greater resolution for the height most relevant to humans. However, it is not clear to me what happens in case the ground level is not flat. In my case, the ground is sloping and the simulated area (about 200x200m) occupies the entire slope, which from lowest to highest point has a difference of about 20m. Does the "lowest grid" follow the ground? Will I be able to have the five box subdivision above ground in any location, or will the subdivision occur only at the lowest level of the slope?

Tim

Re: How is the "lowest grid" defined in case of uneven ground?

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:18 am

Hi,

It does not follow the terrain. That is why we recommend to not use splitting when DEM is used. Most parts of the model area would have the 5 high-resolution subcells within the terrain. You would not get more information from them and additional have more computational time than without splitting.

Best regards,
Tim

Pantamonium

Postby Pantamonium » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:22 am

Ok, thank you Tim! Do you know if there is a plan to implement something like this in the future? Or would it be too much of a strain in calculation time?

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 am

Hi,

No, that is not planned, yet.

Best regards,
Tim

Return to “Beginner's Corner”