Location of walls on the grid lines

Post here for very basic questions and request for help...
But: BEFORE you post, read the older posts if your question hasn't been answered before.
Please be specific. Q like "I don't understand ENVI-met" will most likely be ignored.
Haalsaad

Location of walls on the grid lines

Postby Haalsaad » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm

Dear Tim,

How is the building envelope placed on the grid lines? To be more clear, let’s say we have a 100 cm wall component that consists of 50 cm wall, 20 cm substrate, and 30 cm greening. Would the center of this construction fall on the grid line? In other words, would 50 cm of this construction be in the building grid cell and the other 50 cm be in the atmosphere grid cell?

What I want to get is the exact location in which the "Wall: Air temperature in front of façade” is extracted. Since it is taken from the center of the atmosphere grid cell in front of the building cell, I can know the distance between the greening and center of grid cell by knowing the exact location of the simulated greening.

Thank you very much in advance!

Tim

Re: Location of walls on the grid lines

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi,

We need to get a bit more into gridding here. Whole cubes with their size depending on your resolution are considered as building or air or plant. All other database inputs of thicknesses (walls, plants, substrate) are mainly used for the calculation of energy fluxes. Greening as a subgridmodel is implemented as parametrization with its calculations more or less happening below grid resolution.
The facade and greening processes thus happen directly on the grid line as you call it. Distance to the neighbouring atmosphere cell and the temperature value you are aiming for is thus simply half the grid cell resolution.

Best regards,
Tim

Haalsaad

Re: Location of walls on the grid lines

Postby Haalsaad » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 am

Thank you very much!

Return to “Beginner's Corner”